Snake bites are common from October to late March every year. Our pets often come across snakes on walks or in our backyards. If left alone most snakes will prefer to get out of the way. If your pet corners or hassles a snake they risk becoming envenomated.
It is important to note that the signs of snake bite can take anywhere between 10 mins to 2 days to become evident. Your pet may become seriously unwell in a matter of minutes. You do not need to wait for clinical signs of snake bite to become apparent before seeking medical attention. We recommend seeking help immediately if you find your pet interacting with a snake or exhibiting any of the following symptoms.
Signs to look out for
- Muscle weakness, lethargy or collapse
- Fixed, dilated pupils which do not respond to light
How is snake bite treated?
If your pet is no exhibiting symptoms of being envenomated your vet will perform an examination which will likely include a clotting blood test to confirm whether treatment is needed.
If envenomation is confirmed your vet will seek your authorisation to administer anti-venom. Your pet may need to be hospitalised for a number of days for monitoring, pain relief and further doses of anti-venom depending upon the severity of the envenomation.
Anti-venom gives your pet the best chance of surviving the snake envenomation.